Saturday, April 2, 2011

IPad - Content Library Observations

My initial impetus to get an iPad was to create a library of my PDF documents. I have operated, essentially, in a digital environment since 2003. Thus, the ability to have easy access to ALL documents, in a fashion that would be easily searchable, is very compelling to me. That simple thought pushed me down a road that has literally branched off in hundreds of directions over the last year.

However, I have found in numerous discussions with iPad owners that this concept is less understood (the perceived value is not as high).  In a presentation that I put together, I highlighted five "documents" that I have included in my iPad document library.  Those five are reference books that I want to have immediate access to.

Here they are:

1.    Technical accounting research document regarding accounting for derivative financial instruments (620 pages).
2.    Excel 2007 Bible – reference (914 pages)
3.    Access 2007 Inside and Out – reference (1,464 pages)
4.    Apple “Final Cut Pro” User Manual (2,033 pages)
5.    Adobe Acrobat 9 Bible – reference (1,298 pages)

In total, these "documents" account for 6,329 pages of material, which consume a total storage space of 180 megabytes.  180 mg is 18% of 1 gig, and 1 gig is 1.6% of 64 gig (the largest iPad currently available).  Thus, five rather large books take up only 0.28% of the total capacity.  Assuming you had 25 times this amount of material, you would still only use up approximately 7% of the total iPad storage.

What’s the point?  You can include far more content on an iPad than you probably imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment